SC430 interior water leak.

unclebob

After taking ownership of my second SC430 and finding it also had a water leak, I can only deduce it's a more common problem that first thought :confused: .
My first SC430 had a leak , this showed itself on the passenger front carpet and would be wet after it rained .
This I fixed with some sealer along the outer top seal... roof to front screen rubber , then removed the interior trim and sun visors and run sealer along between the rubber seal edge and the metal of the screen frame, in both cases the cars are no longer leaking ๐Ÿ‘
The carpets are plastic backed so any water running onto the carpet doesn't sink to the floor pan.
A test that can be done is to cover the A pillar trim with kids chalk on its inner side, as the water runs down this trim to get to the floor ....if it's leaking the chalk will be washed off ( right hand side of trim ).
Chalk on reverse of trim..
IMG_6492.JPG

This roof latch also has to come off to get a continuous bead of sealer across the screen frame.

IMG_2864.JPG

I can only advise you guys to check under you drivers and passenger floor mats after any substantial rain for damp or wet carpets .

Julius Seizure

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Bob, but you seem more than capable of putting things right which I sadly am not - things just get worse !
I feel like I put the mockers on it by bringing up the subject of rain covers yesterday .
Look at the upside matey - at least you've managed to secure your garage door today as well as fix the leak .

unclebob

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Bob, but you seem more than capable of putting things right which I sadly am not - things just get worse !
I feel like I put the mockers on it by bringing up the subject of rain covers yesterday .
Look at the upside matey - at least you've managed to secure your garage door today as well as fix the leak .

Don't think it's a luck thing ....as these's cars get old more will suffer this leaking seal.....my heads up was to allow members to check now before the winter ๐Ÿ™‚
I wish it was my garage...it was around my old mum's house ๐Ÿ‘

Alphard

Bob, thank you for posting this.
Did you get any pics of where you put the sealant?
Also, what sort of sealant would you recommend? You may have answered these questions elsewhere so please accept my apologies for asking again.

unclebob

Bob, thank you for posting this.
Did you get any pics of where you put the sealant?
Also, what sort of sealant would you recommend? You may have answered these questions elsewhere so please accept my apologies for asking again.

This was the sealer I used ....it's meant for engine gaskets but worked well on the last car For 6 months plus before it's sale.

532eefb7-b465-4b58-a5ac-389f433868fb.jpg

I sealed along the front edge of the rubber trim that runs across the roof line ( between the metal and rubber) , I done this with the roof down to reduce the squeeze on the rubber, the gap needs to be cleaned out first and dried.
Then with the top inner windscreen trim off the other side of the same rubber trim, seal it from side to side ....both roof locks have to be removed, I marked then with a black marker pen on my old car ( light coloured paintwork ) and White marker pen with the new car .
Should have taken some better photos at the time :rolling_eyes:

Julius Seizure

... all you experienced Lexusites will already know this , but I checked all my mats this morning for rainwater ingress like Bob suggested,
but being slim, grim & dim , completely forgot to pat down the drivers mat UNDER the brake pedal . I was rapidly approaching the back
end of a scaffolding lorry , with all kinds of nasties sticking out , with very little brake response . It was another one of those nano-second
things that seems to go on forever - in the end I just jumped on the foot/hand brake pedal which screeched the car to a halt . BIG lesson
learned , as usual with me , the hard way .
:cry:

Sly

Captain Chaos / Nocturnal Member
This is the best cure for a lexus convertible leaking roof ........ Guaranteed to stop the leaks

lexusiscoupe_450-op.jpg

Sly

Captain Chaos / Nocturnal Member
It would just be Bob's luck that the windscreen on that one would leak anyway lol

unclebob

It's an age thing more and more of our cars will get this problem .....Rich give me a ring if you want me to talk you through it while you're looking at the job ๐Ÿ‘....well unless the thread above made sence ๐Ÿ˜‰

Top Bottom