Mike's GS430 Build

Mike_Mac

Well done Mike, time to enjoy it. Toby and I understand what a difference it can make. 👍
Too right - as an example I don’t notice the handling when driving it anymore - ie - it just goes where I want it without fuss, whereas before I’d be mentally frowning every time it went round a corner…

opentop

Thanks for the video Mike. For someone not mechanical or a modifier am I looking for two things that are incompatible? Appreciate yours is GS, mine is SC factory standard so might be comparing oranges to apples. I live rurally so understand about the winding and poorly maintained roads and how they affect handling. I specifically want my car to be as close to a silent, serene, wafting on a clould, relaxed and fresh as a daisy after 500 miles GT experience as possible. I don't drive it or want an as fast as possible in corners, hard ride sports car. By simply replacing sway bars on the SC430 with something beefier will it improve handling in corners and on rural twisting and uneven roads from factory set up without compromising the current lexus as near as possible relaxed wafting along in silence ride I bought it for? Or are handling and maximum comfort incompatible on UK roads? Cheers.

Mike_Mac

Thanks for the video Mike. For someone not mechanical or a modifier am I looking for two things that are incompatible? Appreciate yours is GS, mine is SC factory standard so might be comparing oranges to apples. I live rurally so understand about the winding and poorly maintained roads and how they affect handling. I specifically want my car to be as close to a silent, serene, wafting on a clould, relaxed and fresh as a daisy after 500 miles GT experience as possible. I don't drive it or want an as fast as possible in corners, hard ride sports car. By simply replacing sway bars on the SC430 with something beefier will it improve handling in corners and on rural twisting and uneven roads from factory set up without compromising the current lexus as near as possible relaxed wafting along in silence ride I bought it for? Or are handling and maximum comfort incompatible on UK roads? Cheers.
Thanks - glad you enjoyed it!!

In answer to your question - Yes! 😀

In sum the single easiest and least compromising handling upgrade you can make is sway/anti-roll bars!

Changes to shocks/springs are a constant effect, potentially making things too firm, same with poly bushes etc, but bars only act on cornering and have very few compromises.

I’d say they sound an ideal option for what you’re looking for.

TDP

I know that how a car feels is a very personal thing however for what it is worth I found the ride of the standard car uncertain and erratic and the mods I have done have only improved it. I have Meister R coil overs, uprated front and rear anti roll bars, a Cusco strut brace and Cusco front under car brace. I am waiting on a rear under car brace and strut bar. These might make it too stiff -I'll report back when I have them. When I bought the car it had wider wheels and very low profile tyres - the rears were 275/30/19, (front 245/35/19) recently I replaced the rears with 35 profile and felt an immediate improvement in ride quality. My conclusion is that the more you can do to stiffen the chassis the better and when combined with correctly set up coil over and tyres (tyres are a hugely significant factor in ride quality) you get the best of both worlds. As a comparison a friend who drives BMW's said the ride was smoother than his 3 series. Finally I expect that just replacing the anti roll bars will give you the biggest improvement in handling while maintaining the original ride quality.

Mike_Mac

I know that how a car feels is a very personal thing however for what it is worth I found the ride of the standard car uncertain and erratic and the mods I have done have only improved it. I have Meister R coil overs, uprated front and rear anti roll bars, a Cusco strut brace and Cusco front under car brace. I am waiting on a rear under car brace and strut bar. These might make it too stiff -I'll report back when I have them. When I bought the car it had wider wheels and very low profile tyres - the rears were 275/30/19, (front 245/35/19) recently I replaced the rears with 35 profile and felt an immediate improvement in ride quality. My conclusion is that the more you can do to stiffen the chassis the better and when combined with correctly set up coil over and tyres (tyres are a hugely significant factor in ride quality) you get the best of both worlds. As a comparison a friend who drives BMW's said the ride was smoother than his 3 series. Finally I expect that just replacing the anti roll bars will give you the biggest improvement in handling while maintaining the original ride quality.
Agree with all of that - stiffer chassis is always good, can’t think when it could be bad tbh!

The issue is that people use too firm suspension and minimal tyre sidewall to mask other issues - convinced that ‘hard’ equals ‘good’.

Suspension needs to be balanced and complementary - sounds like you’ve gone the right way 👍

(chassis bracing will be my next step after wheels and (good) tyres)

Mike_Mac

Oh Yes - I'm looking forward to getting them fitted, along with a set of decent tyres!

Reactions: V8S
Top Bottom